Jump to Mobile
Wondering how to add an image into Sketchbook? What about what types of files are supported? Well, how to do it and the file types that are supported depend on the version of Sketchbook you're running.
What kind of files you can open
In Sketchbook, you can open TIFF, JPEG, png, PSD, BMP, and GIF files.
- When your sketch dimensions are bigger than those of your screen, the canvas zooms out to fit to the screen.
- When your sketch dimensions are smaller than those of your screen, the canvas created is actual size (100%).
Adding an image in Sketchbook Pro for desktop
An image, such as a JPEG, can be inserted onto the current layer or imported onto a new layer. Once an image is added, the Transform puck appears to reposition, rotate, and or scale the image.
- Select File > Add Image, then select a file.
- In the Layer Editor, click , then select a file.
Keep the following in mind:
- To add an image to a new layer, ensure that the preference Add Image: import into a new layer is checked.
- To add an image to the current layer, ensure that the preference Add Image: import into a new layer is not checked.
- Once an image added to a layer, it’s “baked” into the current layer. You can no longer rotate, scale, or move it on its own. If you do not like its placement, choose to undo it and try again.
Adding an image in Sketchbook for mobile devices
Follow the instructions for the version of Sketchbook, and in some cases you’re device, you’re using:
Importing an image as a new layer in an existing canvas
- In the toolbar, tap Import Image.
- Tap to launch your File browser
- Select an image from your your device and tap the image to import it.
- Use the Transform tools to stretch, move, scale, rotate, and/or flip the image. If the image isn't what you wanted, use the Import from Photos or** Import from Camera** tool in the Transform tools.
- Tap-drag the canvas to freely move in any direction.
- Tap to nudge the content one pixel at a time, by tapping an arrow or tap-drag from the middle to move in any direction or on an arrow to move in that direction.
- Tap to flip the image vertically.
- Tap to flip the image horizontally.
- Tap to rotate the image counter-clockwise.
- Tap to rotate the image clockwise.
- Tap to accept the changes
Importing an image as a new file
From the Gallery, to import an image, tap and select either:
- New from Image - launches your Files browser for you to select the image you want to import. A new canvas will open with the selected image
- Add Image to Gallery - launches your Files browser for you to select the image you want to import. Once the image is selected you will return to the Gallery
- Add Scans to Gallery (Scan sketches)